How to Write Needs Assessments Like a Pro
Make your clients happy, write more grants that get funded, and stay in a loop of steady income
This course is not open for enrollment.
Lots of people in the freelance medical writing space would like you to believe that you need to spend half of your time (or more) marketing for new clients.
The #1 rule of being a freelancer is to always market, market, market!
When you're not constantly marketing, you're putting your future financial stability at risk!
If you don't market now, you'll pay for it later!
Here’s the truth: there’s an easier way to find steady work.
You don’t have to constantly market your services when you start working on projects that are cyclical in nature.
It is possible to even out the ebbs and flows of freelancing. And it’s possible to work on projects that are highly meaningful in the medical community.
I’ll show you how, in just FOUR weekly modules:
- Module 1 - The Framework: Learn the basic structure of a needs assessment and a simple 3-part formula for writing compelling and effective arguments.
- Module 2 - Essentials of Writing Gaps and Learning Objectives: Crack the code of what works and what doesn’t for clients and supporters.
- Module 3 - The Quick and Dirty Research Process: Get unstuck in your research and stress less when researching new topics.
- Module 4 - Pricing and Growing Your Client List: Learn a system for finding clients and pricing your work.
After investing just weeks into this course, you will be perfectly positioned to take advantage of the huge demand for medical writers who can write needs assessments well. This is one skill that CME providers are desperately searching for in freelance medical writers.
"I came into the course having a basic idea of the genre of medical writing I wanted to specialize in. I came out of the course not only more knowledgeable about NAs but also convinced that I made the right decision to focus on CME content.
The instruction was commendable and the live Q&A sessions made this course even more attractive, quite unlike other online courses I have taken in the past. I also like that we developed gap analysis sections and actually practiced writing NAs. Jennifer was so relatable and reassuring and she made the learning process less intimidating.
Thanks Maria and Jennifer for your valuable input, encouragement, positive energy, genuine guidance and help."
- Emma Arigi, PhD, Medical Writer
"This course is an excellent way to expand your skills as a medical writer for CME. The materials are broken down into manageable chunks that provide thorough explanations on the “why’s” and “how’s” of writing high quality needs assessments.
I have been working as a successful grant writer at a medical association for three years, and I took this course to pick up a few new ideas. This course went well beyond that and helped take my writing to new heights!"
- Christine Cooper, PharmD, Assistant Director of Educational Programs
You might be wondering: Is there really any money in CME work? Why should I care about needs assessments?
Those are great questions.
CME is a $2.7 billion a year industry. In the last 10 years alone, CME interactions with clinicians grew more than 50%. In that same time period, CME interactions with participants other than physicians, such as nurses, physicians assistants, and pharmacists, grew more than 90%. This trend is continuing upward.
This represents a HUGE opportunity for medical writers who work in CME. This also represents a HUGE opportunity for you.
CME as a business is cyclical in nature (see below). There will ALWAYS be a demand for writers to produce needs assessments. But here’s an even bigger perk to these writing assignments: they can place you in a continuous cycle of income with the same client. And that eliminates the need to constantly market your services.
What are some other benefits to working in CME?
- You don’t need as many clients as you think you do to have consistent work. Three to five clients are likely going to keep you pretty busy.
- You don’t need to be an expert in any particular subject area. Once you have a proven system developed, writing about new topics will become easier, and you’ll become your clients’ go-to writer because of how fast and seamlessly you complete your assignments.
- You have the chance to do really meaningful work. The whole point to writing a needs assessment is to outline gaps in practice. If the proposal gets funded, the program developed will change practice behaviors in clinicians, leading to better care and management of patients. This is a win for everyone.
Writing effective grants does not happen by accident. Learn my exact process for writing needs assessments so that your grants get funded, your clients are happy, and you stay in a loop of steady income.
Don't wait...enrollment for the course closes Friday, October 11 at midnight EST. The next enrollment won't be available until early 2020.
"As an established freelance medical writer, I took Write and Prosper’s 4-week course on writing needs assessment to expand my areas of expertise into the field of CME (continuing medical education). What a wonderful investment in my professional development!
The instructors, Jennifer Gregg and Maria Granovsky, present a curriculum that is clear, relevant, and intellectually challenging. By the end of the course, I felt confident in my ability to produce high-quality, persuasive needs assessments to meet and exceed my clients’ expectations.
Of equal importance, the weekly, live, interactive webinars create a vibrant learning environment enriched by Jennifer and Maria’s keen professional expertise, warmth, generosity, and dedication to mentoring medical writers seeking to grow professionally. I gained not only valuable professional skills in writing needs assessments, but also ongoing connections with colleagues who share my enthusiasm for and commitment to our meaningful work as medical writers!"
- Wendy Mills, MPH, Freelance Medical Writer and Editor
Intrigued, but not sure that you want to invest in a course?
I get it, courses are an investment.
Maybe you've tried a course or two in the past and were let down with the results (or lack thereof).
Maybe you don’t see how a lot of courses fit into real-world situations.
Maybe you felt overwhelmed with the content and always felt like you were playing catch-up.
This course is different. This course is all about application. It's not just regurgitation of material or content. We’ll walk through lots of examples and specific scenarios. And, this course will more than pay for itself as soon as you write your first needs assessment for your client.
What else is included with the course?
- Weekly office hours
- Just submit your questions in advance, and we’ll answer them live on the call. Can’t be there live? No problem! We’ll record it and send it out to the group later.
- Templates and cheat sheets
- These will make your life so much easier. You can send over the chocolates and/or flowers later ;)
- Private community
- I’m pretty sure that only awesome people will take the course so you’ll probably get to meet some really cool folks. We use the communication capabilities of Teachable because it's free of all of the distractions that come with other social media platforms. <cough...Facebook>
- Homework assignments
- You’re here to work right? One of your goals as a freelance writer should be to develop a diverse portfolio (this will make your clients happy that you’re versatile). Needs assessments will be an excellent addition to your writing arsenal. By the end of the course, you should have an example (or two) in-hand that you can proudly share with clients.
Want individualized feedback on your assignments and your needs assessment sample so that you’re taking full advantage of the course? You can have that!
- The Individualized Feedback Package includes everything above PLUS:
- Weekly feedback on your homework assignment and a review of up to 5 pages of the needs assessment sample that you'll be creating during this course. Through this process, you get detailed feedback that allows you to benefit from all my knowledge and experience as it applies to your specific topic of choice.
Want to keep building momentum in your business now that you know how to write winning needs assessments? We've got your back!
- The Momentum Package includes everything in the Individualized Feedback Package PLUS:
- The 90-Day Group Coaching Program that provides all the mentorship and accountability that you need to get your freelance medical writing business off the ground.
- This package is the best value for those who want to take the business of their business seriously, find great new clients, and increase their revenues.
"This course was the whole package. I learned how to write a needs assessment, how to promote that skill, and a dozen other useful tips.[...]
The course structure was well designed, the information was valuable, and the instructors engaging. I did not realize the link between grant writing and CME until taking this course."
- Suzanne Broussard, PhD, Freelance Medical Writer
Hey, I’m Jenn! You might recognize me from Write & Prosper.
CME work is my jam. I’ve focused on developing CME content for years now, and I can tell you that there is a LOT of work available out there in the CME space and in many other areas. You just have to go after it.
I’ve distilled all of my experiences into easy-to-follow formulas that will work for you, so that you can bypass all of the hurdles and get straight to a steady stream of income.
I’m sooo looking forward to teaching you everything that I know.
StartModule 1, Introduction (1:51)
StartModule 1, Lesson 1: Why CME?
StartModule 1, Lesson 2: Definitions and Lingo (30:29)
StartModule 1, Lesson 3: NA Structure (29:55)
StartModule 1, Lesson 4: Writing Effective Arguments (10:01)
StartModule 1, Worksheets
StartModule 1, Homework
StartCheatsheet - Questions to Ask the Client
StartModule 2, Intro (1:51)
StartModule 2, Lesson 1: Gap Statements (21:52)
StartModule 2, Lesson 2: Example Gaps (12:29)
StartModule 2, Lesson 3: Learning Objectives (11:19)
StartModule 2, Lesson 4: Outcomes (11:28)
StartModule 2, Worksheets
StartModule 2, Homework
StartCheatsheet - Learning Objectives